52 things in 52 weeks
first off, let me say... HAPPY NEW YEAR!
anyone who knows me, knows i am a lover of lists. i don't abide by them always but there's something comforting about lists of things to be accomplished and acquired... goals lists, grocery lists, task and to do lists (honey-do lists), wish lists, "40 by 40" lists, favorite moments lists, favorite songs lists, people i admire lists, favorite food lists, best books lists... even list poems. they are easy and they inspire me; they keep me moving onward and upward.
so, in the spirit of lists, i am writing my first blog of the year... you guessed it... as a list. not a list of resolutions. more like a list of 52 things i hope to do before year's end. things to help me break out of my daily routine and awaken the muse in me. in 2011, i don't feel like i had enough writerly moments. this list is meant to inspire the writer in me throughout 2012. i invite you, dear reader, to adapt it, or create your own, to see how much of it you accomplish by year's end.
(numbered, but in no particular order... here we go...)
- write a list of 52 things I can accomplish this year (good start, right?)
- read a blog (see, you can already cross one thing off of your list)
- start/write a blog (it will get the juices flowing)
- read a screenplay/work in your favorite genre
- finish writing a screenplay (ScriptFrenzy)
- enter a writing contest
- read a book of poems (suggestions?)
- read the autobiography of an author or a memoir
- see 12 movies (1/month)
- mentor a young person
- write a letter to 6 family members and mail them
- write using a prompt (suggestions)
- read the newspaper cover to cover
- take a dance lesson
- visit an art museum
- go to a poetry reading (venue suggestions?)
- read at a poetry reading/open mic
- parle francais avec ma soeur
- paint on canvas
- write a short film
- shoot a short film
- get a massage
- get a mani/pedi
- eat sushi
- eat tiramisu
- swim in an ocean
- walk barefoot
- ride a bike
- buy a cozy robe
- attend a professional conference
- apply for a fellowship
- make bookmarks
- make a carrot cake from scratch
- take a writing workshop
- lead a writing workshop
- make a tshirt
- create/order business cards
- buy some red toms
- get a new journal that i LOVE
- new collection of pens
- acquire 12 classic movies
- begin a collaborative project
- pitch a project
- volunteer for a day
- work freelance (builds muscle)
- write at least a poem/week during poetry month (APRIL, which is also ScriptFrenzy month so...
- journal, journal, journal!
- learn tai chi and incorporate it into my daily/weekly schedule
WHEW! that wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, though it was as, if not more, liberating! the tasks in bold type feel a bit more intimidating than the others for whatever reason, which means i'm likely to dive into those heart first. (my habit is to stare fear down and poke it's eyes out, no matter how much my knees knock, my stomach moans.)
so, this is it. if you write a list, i'd love to read it. not just so i can knock item #3 off of my list. i want to be inspired.
onward and upward, beautiful people...