Wednesday, June 29, 2005


this is my first blog (yes, i am a blog-virgin), so forgive its immaturity and imperfections. but like all of the other blog-curious writers finding their ways to these spaces, i have been horny for this "blogging" and needing to liberate myself from this longing. so here i am, blog-world! and i am in fine, fine company so i pray i don't waste these breaths with pantings and hyperventilative gibberish posing as entries, exasperated and short of patience, like pen-can't-move-fast-enough, keys-aren't-clicking-quick-enough babblings about the world (the way i do in the pages of my many journals). but even those have been dry of ink lately, which means i am either seriously constipated or hiding from myself. maybe bloggin can help me figure that out.

my days are longer since graduating from my beloved cave canem (www.cavecanempoets.org) which you are certain to hear more about if you pop into these pages every now and again. finding relief that doesn't leave me hung over or in some space of regret (which i try never to do) is a task these days. re-entry is a bitch. (mad love to the beautiful flowering of CC 3rd year faces on this page! still cravin'!)
----------------------------------------------

Here
a post cave canem X lamentation

"I am no one again
Again I am no one
No one again am I
I am no one again.

I am not free again
Again I am not free
Free, I am not
I am not free again.”
- Laurie Carlos

there is no parade of sun-soaked daylilies
trumpeting me, bowing in perfumed breeze
like faithful lovers longing for attention.

there are no rooms filled with butterflies
fluttering in the muse of word and rhythm
hearkening my late night, first morning poems.

there are no fried chicken bones to gnaw
no watermelon rinds to suck clean of red and juice
no soul train lines for shimmy or harlem shake.

here,
at the center of this cog
amid endless rows of metal frames and padded walls
where artificial air turns bodies cold
hums an elegy for the living
who shuffle from tasks to terminal,
there is only memory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

thank you roger for the challenge to write that. big luv to CC for your insight and feeback... Lenard... it's getting there...) maybe i'll share the next draft. not exactly sure where it will go. but you are right, it, the act of writing it, helps my spirit's journey to wholeness.

okay, i am high right now on this whole blog thing but i also realize the time and that functioning with the "normals" requires sleep. so i'll retire to do that for now. but i must write about the brilliantly inspiring collective i was with tonight. yes, in austin. more, more, so much more... soon, loves...

soon,
shia

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chia-chia! Just wanted to be the first to blog you!! Luv u!!

Chawa

my coffee is always said...

Good Morning,
glad to see that you are blogging. It was pleasure meeting you last evening. I look forward to many conversations, and of course the opportunity to peek inside your imangination.
kimberley

Anonymous said...

Hey Shia

Congrats on hooking up a blog page!! It's a drug you'll NEVAH get cured of! You'll resist at first but eventually you'll start telling ERR-THANG!! All your biz-ness! It's cool-- we'll be here to cheer and support you.
One Love! CJ!

Anonymous said...

what a surprise! never would i have counted you among the blog-virgins!! congrats! and best wishes on this new journey.
i was blog-curious, too... but it quickly faded after a few awkward attempts. ;)

Christina Springer said...

Welcome to the blogiverse. Hope you'll stay with it.

If it wasn't for CC bloggers I don't know what I'd do! So - thanks for adding to my reading list.

Amanda Johnston said...

Alert, Alert! New blogger on the block. Have fun with this. You will be tempted to tell all, as I was at first, but remember cyberspace is still a space where people come to visit. Don’t tell what you wouldn’t yell from a podium in front of a million people. I’ll tell you my horror story over lunch. But other than that cautionary note, run with this, the writing (even babbling) is good for the soul and it's exercise for the brain.

Write on, baby!
Manda

Anonymous said...

Shia,
you really are my grooving butterfly. I can't wait to talk to you once I get settled back in Chicago. You just keep writing, blog or otherwise, and I will keep reading, smiling and goin ooooh girl!