Saturday, June 10, 2006

before i get pulled back into my day...

this is me tiptoeing into this entry. trying not to wake my daughter, disturb my mother or make my son aware of the fact that i am actually taking a moment to myself. got no time for fancy coloring and fonts (save the title) or cool linkage so bear with me. i'm just happy to be here.

Allahu-Akbar... God is SO good! so many amazing things going on in my life and in the world, how am i supposed to keep up? i mean, not like i won the lottery (which i don't play anyway) or got nominated for an academy award (at least not yet) or anything. but i feel very present and i am enjoying the highs and lows of living and it is just a blessing. i can't believe it's only been a month--feels like a year--since we were last here. let's see, an update... where do i start?

*inhale* (here we go...)

my time with austin project officially ended (wiping tears from my cheeks)... i wrote 14 poems in the month of april for gibbous moon's "poem-a-day" challenge (a triumph considering that's more than i've written in the last year, give or take)... went to an AMAZING spa party (thank you krissy, camille, wura, analise et al for the serious love and care)... my son scored several touchdowns before their last loss (who cares... they all got the same trophy anyway)... my daughter did her first cheerleading dance in a halftime show (too cute!)... i did a reading at bookwoman... submitted 6 (yes, count 'em 6) screenplays to screenwriting contests... saw anna devere smith at zach scott (inspired!)... mourned one contest rejection so far... submitted a grant proposal... lost 4 pounds... cut my hair down and let it grow back to a twistable fro... accepted a position as co-producer on a film (more on that later)... had a live reading for that screenplay... designed my own fabulous website... gained 4 pounds... saw the roots (slow-heat-exausted-yawn...) and anthony hamilton (yay!) in concert... saw the movie water (a MUST see!)... and saw the oldest of my two younger brothers who was in Houston on business... and not necessarily in that order.

*exhale*

phew! funny thing is, as you can see i have had a million and one blog ideas, just never the time to write them all down. i also started a myspace account (groovenbuttafly, of course) which i have even less time to maintain. but everyone else was doing it and... i can be such a follower sometimes. call it the second-child syndrome.

i'm headed to cali shortly for a bit of bliss with sweetiebubu. i'm actually going to attend the vona voices master suite workshop at the university of san francisco, called The Writer-of-Color and Political Responsibility, with walter mosley and elmaz abinader. how great is that? after that, my prayer is that in july, i'll take the kids to san antonio for a weekend so they'll have something to write about that first week of school. (not that camp and the unforgiving-100-degree heat aren't subject enough.) i also hope to make it to the american black film festival (www.abff.com) in miami. but we'll see. summer is so short. so many things to do, so little time and moolah.

uh-oh...

time to bid you adieu. it is saturday and the fact that i have managed any time on the computer is worthy of documenting. my son scoots nearer and nearer, half-playing with a headless bionicle, halfway vying for my attention. my daughter is slowly stretching out of sleep, out from a fetal position on top of my good pillow like a long, lethargic kitten; the braids she begged for spread in all directions above her head like subway train tracks from a main station. i am typing as quickly as my pecking fingers will allow. like getting a last kiss in before your parents come home.


so my beautilicious friends, i want to say i am "back," but i guess we'll see won't we? thank you tasha for the word "parallax." that's my next blog. stay tuned y'all...

GRATEFUL for this moment...

besos y abrazos... (fa evah, evah...)
shia SHABAZZ

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was working hard in Texas! (Let me shut up, I don't even have youngins so I can't compete in a "who's busy" contest with you).

Best of luck with all the festivals and proposals (not "luck," but you know what I mean).

If I can find time, I may try to come through Austin before I head outta this hot, can-opener-looking state.

Pieces

still grooven said...

S'up KGD!!!
didn't know you were in TX! CONGRATS on taking up the Callalou gig! Yeah, you 'bout as busy as I am, even without kids. i tried to send u a msg on your myspace but, contrary to your blast, it doesn't exist. so holla when u get to Austin or send me a note on my myspace (groovenbuttafly, of course). CC in the house!

abrazos y besos,
shia

bRandy said...

shia,
it was nice to see you at the anthony hamilton concert the other night. congrats on all that you have going on, and for just feeling happy--i know there are few things in life better. sorry jai and i missed the Oprah Effect, life reared its ugly head, as it sometimes does...
take care!
Brandy

still grooven said...

when i run into you and jai out, i always feel like i am in the right space at the right time. (LOVE Y'ALL!) i really enjoyed the concert. the oprah effect reading went great! sorry y'all missed it but there will be a few other things coming up so stay tuned. (it's all sure to be in a blog soon) we are tightening the script now. we start shooting in october.

always love, shia

Anonymous said...

Hi Shia
This is Steve Vera. I enjoyed the reading of "The Oprah Effect." Looking at your last blog. How do you find the time to do all that you do?! WOWW!

When are you going to the workshop in California? Sounds exciting!

Siempre tu amigo!
Steve :~)

still grooven said...

Steve,
if i stopped to think about all i have to do, i'd be exhausted and just get in bed. so i just keep going and find rest when i can. CONGRATS to YOU on POETICAH.COM!!! (visit and submit, y'all!) i keep saying i am going to but i haven't written a poem since april. THANKS for coming to the reading and for participating!

soon,
shia

still grooven said...

THANKS SKALECKS! parallax... coming soon...

Anonymous said...

Shia,
been missing you girl. Sounds like you've been the whirlwind. The Roots & Anthony Hamilton...definitely worth seeing. Did you get my comments on your poem? In any case, I'm so proud that you've been writing so much. I'm playing catch up, but I'm reading, writing & submitting. Not coming to NPS in Austin, but I'd like to come and visit. Let me know what dates are good for you, love. Have fun with sweetiebubu!

Anonymous said...

How do you all that that you do? You never ceased to inspire and amaze me. Not everyone could handle all that you do. I think I shall take the advice of a friendand just "BREATHE".

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

HI Shia: This is my 1st time here - you are an inspiriation as a writer! You are awesome and well-accomplished.

Great summary - I know how you feel about not updating.

I'll be back ;) - you are such a wonderful artist w/ words - good luck w/ all those contests - you are daring! :)

Shelle said...

shia, don't forget you were also a judge for Jack n Jill thingy majiggy...as if u needed one more thing LOL. it was great seeing you again.
i always feel as if i'm in the presence of greatness when i am around you...well cause i am.
hate i missed the reading too...
so much going on, i am so impressed and inspired.
love ya