Tuesday, March 28, 2006

question: “have you ever fallen in love?” my answer, “all the time.”

Last night began our first night of rehearsals for the forthcoming performances for the Austin Project. (April 8th & 9th so mark your calendars!) anyway, this night focused on love. real loving. Led by the brilliant Laurie Carlos, (in short) we each had an opportunity to sit in the center of the circle of beautiful spirits and accept offerings love and appreciation for just being who we are. And it’s amazing to find out how many positive thoughts other people actually have about you. to find out that you matter. And then, to watch each woman be so generous with compliments and offerings of adoration for other women. That happens too few and too far between in our culture. I fell in love over and over and over again last night. I am so grateful. Allahu Akbar.

I fell in love with my children again this weekend as well. On Saturday, they both had their first flag football games. Salihah cheered. Naim played. They were both completely excited about their new athletic pursuits. (Salihah is definitely her momma’s child.) But Naim… my more reserved child, usually preferring to stand behind me with his head tucked under my shirt than take the lead on this or that, is an amazing athlete! I mean, I knew he was fast but of the 4 touchdowns the team made, Naim ran 3 of them! And not only ran them but dodged and spun, faked out the defense. I went WILD on the sidelines! Aside from his coach/dad and I, he (Naim) was so proud… so proud. Even better, his sister was proud of him and they shared a bit of joy between them. (Gotta recognize the bonding moments cuz the rivalry can be overshadowing.) now, if I could only get them to clean their rooms without threats or some act of God…

Finally, I guess I’ll post that I recently joined the editorial staff as Sr. Editor for the Motion Picture section of ATX Magazine. It’s very new but I think (we) have a great visionary in Megan Bettis. I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity. I will officially begin work after the Austin Project performances. I am looking forward to what promises to be a wonderful ride!

3 comments:

tia said...

I had some nice Q.T. with my children this weekend also. It's a wonderful thing, ain't it! Your son's athletic prowess is also fabulous to hear. I know the grin on your face must have been gigantic! lol

And congrats on the ATX position!! That's great (and so exciting)!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this one! You know I can relate, I have three of my own and they all have very different but unique qualities that I fall in love with each and every day! I just said to my husband last night we need to spend indvidual time with them so they will know how much we appreciate who they are as a person!Its very important that they dont feel left out or unseen! They are my little blessings and I thank God for them!
Shia keep doin what ya doin girl, I see you! Laughing and believing!
Much love, wisdom and blessings!
~Tiffany Nicole~

Anonymous said...

I fall in love with your children everytime you tell me a story, comment, send a picture or just to hear them in the back ground... (even if they dont totally agree with what the other is doing at that moment)! Shia-Bia I have told you several times. You and Maurice have two beautiful children. I have also told you that you are a beautiful, talented (funny as hell) person, sista, friend, play cuzzin' all of the above and the not mentioned but what I havent told you is THANK YOU! Thanks for letting me be a part of your beautiful life!

Keep growing, making mistakes, learning and most important loving life!

luh u gurl! Me...