Tuesday, April 04, 2006


let's TAKE THE LEAD y'all!

the following email was forwarded to me this morning. i ABSOLUTELY pray that someday soon, i find myself in a position to be asking support for my first widely released film. (cuz we all know how these first-weekend-ratings-things work, right?)

so, in support of this sista who is obviously doing the dang thing--and, admittedly, in an effort to create good karma--i am going to venture to my favorite theater this weekend and actually pay full price (not matinee) to see this film (which i try to make a practice of for all Black films). one small way to exercise your politics/make a statement, right? anyway, here's the email i received. (i was also impressed that the sista sent it herself rather than having her people's people's people represent her.) go, diane, go!!!

"Ok- so I've never sent a BIG GROUP email before, but here goes: For the first time, I have a major movie opening nationwide on the 7th of April, and I'd welcome your support in going to see my film. The movie, called TAKE THE LEAD, stars Antonio Banderas and Alfre Woodard. I wrote it, and Liz Freidlander, directed. You can see the trailer at
http://www.taketheleadmovie.com . Please come and support us. You all know how important opening weekend can be.

Thank you,
Dianne Houston"

4 comments:

BeautifulZaria said...

wow, that's impressive. I love Antonio Banderas. I'll check it out this weekend.

Anonymous said...

The one thing I admire about you is your search for self. Your journey has not been easy and I appreciate your teaching me not to be afraid of self examination...its a test we can all pass.

still grooven said...

reinestorm--cool! also, i checked out your blog. it's amazing. will comment soon.

annon--i am grateful for your perception and humbled by your comment. i am definitely a work-in-progress.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,
I didn't know a sister did this film. I will check it out. I just hope I can come to a big ol' screening so I can be like "I knew she was gonna blow up. That's MY girl." It's coming, Ms. Shabazz, it's coming.