Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ramadan Mubarak!
if you have never noticed how much of our lives revolve around what we eat or what we are not eating... fast.

i was sick the first few days of Ramadan so today was my first successful day of fasting. (Allahu-Akbar!) the kids i taught today tried every bit of my patience (could have driven a fasting Muslim to eat) but i made it through with my hunger-breath intact.

my daughter called me 30 minutes before sunset/time to break fast and feared she was too hungry and couldn't make it. she has been beautiful and amazing and so proud of herself. (though only a fraction as proud as i am of her.) so we stayed on the phone until she pushed past the moment. today she made it through her SECOND day of fasting (Al-Humdulillah [sp?]). before we knew it, we were saying a prayer together on the phone--her at her brother's football practice, me at my theatre action project meeting--and broke our fasts over pizza and cheesey goldfish.

i love ramadan. it gives me the time and clarity to fully love moments like these. Allahu Akbar!

2 comments:

K said...

I have had the oppurtunity to fast for other reasons and it can let you know a lot about yourself. I am so happy to hear that you and your daughter have the oppurtunity to share it together.

Smooches!

Nina Foxx said...

Much respect. I have tried to share in your fast this year in between trips, etc. And we just eat too much. I was tired,sick,headachy the first fews days but have since found a new groove. If I can resist the temptation of the cheesedoodles,cookies,snack,grocery store sample,ice cream, all the things that I eat that feel so good when I'm done, I can just walk away from the things that I do that make me feel bad about myself afterwards.